Wednesday, February 8, 2017

DIY Valentine's

It's less than a week until Valentine's Day and even though we don't really do much for it, I always like to make it special for the girls.  I don't remember much about Valentine's Day as a kid except for making Valentine boxes at school and that my dad usually gave us a large heart shaped box of Russel Stovers chocolate.
For the last three years, I have made the girls' Valentine's rather than buying them.  I wish that I could take credit for the cute ideas.  But like many other mama's, I get most of my ideas from Pinterest.  This year I made heart shaped crayons.  I've wanted to make these since I first saw them several years ago, but never could find the silicon molds.  When I saw one at Wal-Mart a couple week ago, I had to buy it.



Here's what you need:

About 60 crayons (unwrapped and broken)
Heart shaped silicon mold
White card stock
Color printer
Hot glue or glue dots


Between the girls and daycare, we had tons of broken crayons that I needed to throw away.  We had just enough for 24 heart crayons.

Preheat oven to 250
Fill each heart with crayons.  I made ours rainbow colors, but almost any color combination would work.  Place mold on a cookie sheet (I didn't use one, but really wish I had.  It was a challenge to get the mild out of the oven without spilling wax.) and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.  Be very careful removing the mold from the oven.  Let sit until the wax has hardened and then pop the crayons out of the molds.



Anxiously waiting for them to be done.


Once the crayons were done, I needed to make the cards.  There were several printable versions on Pinterest, but I decided to design my own.  I created cards using Lucid Press.  This was my first time using this program.  I much prefer Microsoft Publisher. It is much easier to use and create custom cards, but there is not a free version of it.  


I'm pretty pleased with the finished product.  Most importantly, the girls love them.  Kaitlyn will be handing this out at preschool and in daycare.


Here are a couple Valentines that I have made in 2015.  I guess I forgot to take pictures of the 2016 Valentine's.


No comments:

Post a Comment