Saturday, June 24, 2017

Dance Recital

I've always wished that I knew how to dance.  Sure, I can fake it like everyone else in a club (at least I think I can), but it would be nice to actually have some rhythm. Growing up in a small town, there was never really an opportunity to participate in it or much of anything else besides little league softball (which I was never any good at).

When I found out that I was pregnant with a little girl, I began dreaming of all of the things that I could do with her.  Putting her in dance was definitely near the top of my list.  I know that we shouldn't live vicariously through our children, but this was something that I we really wanted her to be a part of and hoped that she'd enjoy.   Fortunately, Kaitlyn has always been very girly and was extremely excited about starting dance.  



 About a month before her fourth birthday, we enrolled Kaitlyn in a ballet/tap combo class at The Studio - Liberty Dance and Glee.  She was hooked after the first class.  She loved her instructor and was excited to be in class when with a couple girls from preschool.  Ballet was her favorite (still is) and she loved performing at her recital.  




Since Kaitlyn loved dance so much, we decided to enroll Madi in it as so as she turned three.  We debated putting them in separate classes, but ended up putting them inthe same one.  We thought that it might make it easier on Madi if her big sister was with her.  I think we made the right decision because it took Madi a of couple months to really get into dance class.  While she was excited to go each week, she didn't want to participate until about half way through class.  This eventually improved and she began dancing the entire time.  It definitely made it easier on us having them in the same class, but next year we will separate them.  I'm pretty that their teacher will thank us for it.  (There were several times that they got in trouble during class due to pestering and fighting.)

This year's recital was titled "Be Our Guest" and all of the dances were food related.  For ballet, they danced to Cotton Candy Land.  Both girls are a little better at ballet, but I think they enjoyed their tap number a little more.  After all, who doesn't enjoy a little Mickey Mouse.  For tap, they danced to a mix version of the Hot Dog Dance.

Before the show
Kaitlyn is on the far left and Madi is at the far right next to the boy.




Katilyn is on the far left and Madi is in the middle.

After the show


With their flower from Grandma Kathy and their trophies













I'm not sure if we qualify as dance parents yet, but I think we're well on our way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment