Sunday, December 11, 2016

It's a ...

It's a ...


When I was pregnant with Kaitlyn, I had never heard of a gender reveal party.  We found out her gender at my 16 week ultrasound and shared the news with it's a girl balloons for our moms and photocards for the rest of our family.

When I was pregnant with Madi, I really wanted to do some kind of reveal with our family.  Since David couldn't make it to my 16 week ultrasound, I had the gender sealed in a envelope.  I had fully intended to share the news over dinner with our parents.  However, David really wanted to know so I opened the envelope while we were both at work and we found out together over the phone.

With this being my last pregnancy, I wanted to do something special to share the news with our family.  The girls (especially Kaitlyn) understand that there is baby in my tummy and I wanted them to be a part of the reveal.  When given the option at my 10 week appointment to either have a level II ultrasound or have an informed pregnancy screening done, I opted for the blood test.  I chose the blood test for two reasons.  The first one was because I would have to have someone (my mom) cover daycare for me if I had the ultrasound and that would be challenging with her end of the semester schedule.  The other reason was because the blood test could be done in the office and three of the abnormalities that it tested for were related to the sex chromosomes, therefore telling us the gender.

My appointment was during the week of Thanksgiving, so I expected the results to take a little longer than usual.  We impatiently waited for the doctor call.  After two weeks of waiting (we were told it would take one - two weeks), I couldn't wait any longer so I called the office.  Nurse Karen returned my call and said that everything was negative and the baby was healthy.  I was really happy that everything was normal (I assumed it was since no one had called.  No news in usually good news.), but I still wanted to know the gender.  When I asked about it, Karen said that it wasn't recorded.  At this point, I was pretty bummed.  I was totally prepared to wait until my 20 week ultrasound to find out, but when I was told we would know sooner I got excited.  She said she would try to have it added to the results, but couldn't promise anything.  She said that I could have another blood draw if they couldn't get it.  I definitely didn't want to do that because I already have to fight insurance to cover this required test.  Karen called back later that day and told me that she would have the results with in a day or two.  I was completely surprised when she called back at 5:15 pm the next day with results.

I thought about letting my mom find out for us and then having her bake cake, but ended up deciding that they best way to share the news would be to tell them at Kaitlyn's birthday party, which was on Saturday.  At the end of her party, we had both girls open the balloon filled box.





It's a Boy!!  Some how I didn't get a picture of the  box when they opened it.






We are so excited to be adding a little BOY to our family!  I look forward to adding a little blue to our pink and purple filled house.



No comments:

Post a Comment